1. Start with garlic and onions. I start most of recipes with these two components not just because they are delicious but because they are surprisingly healthy. Both help your body detox, prevent cancer and lower cholesterol. As far as what kind of onion, it completely depends what I have on hand. Anything from red to Vidalia to scallions works for me.
2. Spicy or Sweet? Once I finish my base it's time to choose what direction to head. For this recipe I had all sweet ingredients so I used tomatoes, peaches and a sweet red bell pepper. I also love the kick a jalapeño adds or serrano peppers are fun too. You can substitute mango for peach if you have that on hand.
3. Add a little acid. I usually use a lemon or lime but sometimes I will add in Apple Cider Vinegar for a some variety.
4. Pick your herbs. Herbs are a great way to add flavor without adding calories. They are delicious and super healthy. Cilantro is usually my favorite for salsa but I also love adding mint to a sweet salsa.
5. Adding protein. I am always looking for ways to add protein to my meals so salsa is no exception for this. Adding these last few elements is my favorite way to make my salsa even healthier. I will add in an avocado, beans, nuts or seeds depending on what I have on hand.
6. The final touch. Top it off with a little sea salt and let it sit for a little while (if you can) and allow the flavors to mingle for the best first bite.