A great way to try out a detox is to do it in a day or a weekend. A short detox like this still has great benefits like purifying your blood, cleaning up your diet and helping you get back on track but is a much smaller commitment. The basics of a detox like this are avoiding processed foods, animal protein, gluten, dairy, caffeine, alcohol and sugar. Instead of these ingredients fill your diet with fruits and veggies that are high in fiber and nutrients and will help purify your digestive tract. Here are a few guidelines for a quick detox.
1. Drink lots of water. Drinking enough water will help you feel satisfied, helps flush your system and keeps you hydrated. Drink 8-10 glasses of water or green tea and add in a green smoothie here and there.
2. Start your morning with non-gluten grains (like a breakfast quinoa) and herbal tea with lemon. This is also a great detox tea you could incorporate in your morning routine.
3. Watch your snacks. Ditch those chips for veggies and leafy greens. Vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers and celery are high and fiber and a great addition to the detox. Instead of dipping them in ranch try salsa or a miso dressing. Those will much more satisfying and compliment your detox. Another great snack option is quick and easy kale chips.
4. A green lunch. For lunch try a mixture of greens, cruciferous veggies and beans topped with avocado and nuts. Leafy greens are the perfect lunch staple. They are loaded with fiber, enzymes and antioxidants and you will get that extra protein boost from the avocado, beans and nuts.
5. Dinner options. A great dinner option is a simple stir fry. Add a lean protein like tofu or tempeh with cabbage and serve it over rice. This will be a satisfying meal but keep you on track with the detox.
6. Don't forget fruit. Eat four servings a day for fiber and vitamins. Some great ways to incorporate fruit are to have an apple with nut butter or have dried fruit for an afternoon snack.
Some things to be aware of for a detox is you may feel fatigued and get a headache. I realize a lot of times that the degree of how bad I feel is directly related to how bad my diet has been and how many toxins are being flushed out. Take time for a extra nap and instead of popping pills and try a few of these headache remedies.